Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the place for questions about learning design and pedagogy; how to use different page types for different purposes.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

HTML5 Content - Should I use Xerte Desktop or XOT? 7 years 10 months ago #3743

• barco
  • barco's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I notice that Xerte Desktop has a lot more features than XOT. I'd like to create content rather rapidly. But I also want to be able to customize it intensely as the project progresses.

Can Xerte Desktop export to HTML5?
Are the assets generated in Scorm packages Flash or Js based in the latest version 2.18?

At present I have to choose between the two since the only way I can move between XOT and Xerte Desktop is exporting from XOT to Xerte Destkop. But that gives me a Wizard based project with the same features as XOT only.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

HTML5 Content - Should I use Xerte Desktop or XOT? 7 years 10 months ago #3747

• barco
For others faced with this Question:

HTML5 Content - Use XOT
Flash Content - Use Xerte Destktop

You can read a more detailed reply by Ron in another thread I created that was related to this.

HTML5 Content - Should I use Xerte Desktop or XOT? 7 years 10 months ago #3751

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
It's not really quite as simple as that. It's a bit more nuanced and too time consuming to cover all of that here in detail but just to add...

You can still use Xerte Online Toolkits in Flash player mode either by changing the project properties, or when exporting, or via url parameters e.g. add &engine=flash or &engine=html to the end of an existing link or embed code

If you change the link to the Flash engine you get the same Flash interface that we used to have but obviously that won't play on devices like iPads without apps like Puffin Browser or without changing the URL to switch to html

The main difference between the developer tool and XOT now compared with what we used to have in much older versions is that there is no html 5 output or page types in the developer tool so whereas w used to keep the page types in both in sync that is no longer possible.
On the other hand if you don't need html 5 and have the Flash and actionscript skills then you can still create complete bespoke content with the developer too. However you won't really get any support with that and you won't be able to import those projects into XOT.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: barco

HTML5 Content - Should I use Xerte Desktop or XOT? 7 years 10 months ago #3759

• barco
Thanks Ron,

That clears up a lot. I realise there are a lot of nuances in considering which tool to use.
Trust this will make it easier for others new to Xerte to choose too.

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search