Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Questions on getting Xerte Toolkits installed on your server and questions about authentication and user logins.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Upgrading to 3.6 from 1.9 5 years 11 months ago #5075

• geraint.morris@open.ac.uk
  • geraint.morris@open.ac.uk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All

I've been tasked with upgrading a 1.9 Xerte install to 3.6. Is there a best practice way of doing this or is it simply a case of extracting the files over the existing and running upgrade.php?

Or is it better to do incremental upgrades through the versions?

Cheers

Geraint

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Upgrading to 3.6 from 1.9 5 years 11 months ago #5076

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Wow! I've upgraded many Xerte installations many times over the years but never jumping so many versions in one go! I'm not sure any of us will have gone from 1.9 to 3.6 or even 3.x.

However unlike applications like Moodle etc there's no specific pre-requisite for upgrading to in-between versions. What I would suggest is that you need to liaise with your authors and schedule to do this when they have time to check/fix any LO's that are affected in any way. e.g. If you're still using 1.9 all the LO's will be viewed via Flash. Changing to 3.6 will include a huge number of changes since 1.9. Back everything up and possibly upgrade a test copy for your authors to check the impact on their existing projects.

Also if it's 1.9 does that mean it's sitting on a very old server with old OS/PHP/MySQL etc you could hit problems there too.

There is a guide to upgrading Xerte in the documentation folder.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Upgrading to 3.6 from 1.9 5 years 11 months ago #5077

• geraint.morris@open.ac.uk
  • geraint.morris@open.ac.uk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the reply Ron. I'm thinking that'll we'll just go for a clean installation and export/import the objects into that.

I've not really looked at this system much but it seems pretty straightforward. Our userbase would like to have objects that can be worked on by groups rather than each author having to share them every time. I guess I need to read the documentation to see if this is possible

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search